About Osseo

City Code

City Code

The codified City Code for the City of Osseo was adopted August 23, 2004. See below for the more commonly used ordinances and policies in Osseo.


Proposed Ordinance and Amendments to City Code (Proposed Ordinances)

Proposed ordinances can be reviewed at: https://www.discoverosseo.com/departments/city-council/city-code/proposed-ordinances

You can sign up to receive notifications of proposed ordinances and amendments to the City Code at: https://www.discoverosseo.com/email-alert-sign-up  


Summary city ordinance requirements


Animal Regulations and Policies

Animals are not allowed to disturb neighbors or to become "nuisances" by barking. Female dogs who are in heat are to be confined. Animals are not allowed to run at large. If your dog bites someone, you are required by Minnesota law to notify the Police Department as the animal must be quarantined in the animal pound for 14 days. If the dog is found to be at large at this time, it will be caught and placed in the animal pound and you will be given a citation. 

Anyone who owns, keeps, or has charge of a dog shall immediately collect and remove any and all feces deposited by the dog on public or private property. Owners must have in their possession a means to collect and dispose of the dog's fecal matter in a sanitary way. Owners shall frequently collect and remove any accumulation of dog fecal matter that is unhealthy or offensive to any person or persons. The premises on which any animal is kept shall be kept in a clean and sanitary condition and shall not be a harbor for rodents/flies or insects.

No dog is permitted to be off the premises of the owner at any time unless leashed with a leash no longer than six feet.

No more than three dogs over the age of six months in any one family unit are allowed.

Keeping any animal, other than would customarily be kept as a domesticated pet, is considered a Public Nuissance Affecting Peace and Safety. 

If you have questions, call the Osseo Police Department at 763.424.5444.

Dog Identification

All dogs are required to have some identification attached to them. Identification allowed includes microchips, veterinarian-issued rabies tags, or tags or collars with a current address and phone number of the owner inscribed on the tag or collar.

As of January 2016, dog licenses are no longer required by the Osseo Police Department. Up-to-date rabies vaccinations are required.

Please contact Osseo Police Department Administrative Assistant Felicia Wallgren if you have any questions, by email or by phone at 763.424.5444.



Burning of leaves, grass clippings, painted or treated wood products, yard and garden waste, and household trash is prohibited.

Recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a building, combustible materials, power lines, or property lines. No flames shall be allowed more than three feet above ground level. 

Buckets, shovels, garden hoses, or a fire extinguisher with a minimum of 4-A rating shall be readily available for use at recreational fires.

Recreational fires shall be constantly attended by an adult person knowledgeable in the use of fire-extinguishing equipment and supervise the fire until it is completely extinguished. No recreational fire shall be of such an intensity that persons cannot withstand heat within five feet of the fire.

It is the homeowner's responsbility to verify with DNR on any burning bans by checking the DNR website

If you have questions, call the Osseo Police Department at 763.424.5444.


The City of Osseo uses the uniform Hennepin County curfew ordinance. This ordinance has been adopted by cities in Hennepin County. The hours of curfew in the City are as follows:

Under Age 12, home by 9:00 p.m.; on Friday and Saturday 10:00 p.m.

Ages 12-14, home by 10:00 p.m.; on Friday and Saturday 11:00 p.m.

Ages 15-17, home by 11:00 p.m.; on Friday and Saturday Midnight

There are exceptions to the ordinance such as youth returning home from work or a school activity, running an errand for a parent, or in an emergency situation. The ordinance is focused at youths congregating after hours in public places such as businesses and parks.

If you have questions, call the Osseo Police Department at 763.424.5444.

Door-to-Door Sales/Soliciting

Persons selling or soliciting products in the residential areas must register at City Hall and complete a Solicitation Application.

If you have questions, call Osseo City Hall at 763.425.2624.

Garage Sales and Signs

Garage sales may be held provided that:

- The sale is conducted inside the principal or accessory structure.
- The number of sales does not exceed four per calendar year.
- The sale does not last longer than three consecutive days.

Garage sale signs may be displayed provided that:

- Signs are placed with the permission of person controlling property on which the sign is placed.
- Signs are removed at the termination of the sale.

If you have questions, call Osseo City Hall at 763.425.2624.


Garbage and Recycling

Garbage must be kept in watertight cans or containers designed to hold garbage prior to time of collection. Containers are not to be visible from the street except on day of collection.

Place your recyclables together in your green and yellow cart at curbside (or alley, if alley pickup).

Questions on container sizes, billing, and holiday schedule, please call Randy's Sanitation at 763.972.3335.

TUESDAYS are garbage/recycling/yard waste collection day. 

If you are an alley resident, garbage containers must be placed on the east side of the alley for collection.

If you are an alley resident, recycling containers must be placed on the west side of the alley for collection.


House Numbers

Emergency vehicle drivers need good, highly visible house numbers should they need to reach your residence in case of an emergency. City ordinances require that house numbers comply with Minnesota State Building Code and be at least 4 inches in height, in a contrasting color to the base, and either lighted or made of some reflective material. The numbers must also be visible from the street, not hidden behind trees or bushes.

If you have questions, call Osseo City Hall at 763.425.2624.



Everyone should be careful about parking on City streets. Local streets are designed and built to carry traffic, not to store vehicles. This policy lessens maintenance costs for streets, helping to keep taxes down. Violation of the parking regulations can lead to ticketing and towing.

On-street parking is prohibited for more than 24 continuous hours on all streets within the corporate limits of the city. No inoperable or unlicensed vehicles are allowed. No semi-trucks can be parked except to load or unload. Up to two recreational vehicles and equipment may be parked in residential areas on paved or approved surfaces.

No parking is permitted on any street in the City's downtown district between 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m. during a snow emergency period. While parking in residential areas is not prohibited during declared snow emergencies, residents are encouraged to remove their vehicles from residential streets so that City snowplow crews can plow snow to the curb when possible. This policy allows City maintenance crews time to properly and safely remove snow from City streets, making it safe for residents and visitors to travel. For more information visit the Snow Emergency Notification System page.

If you have questions, call the Osseo Police Department at 763.424.5444.

Snow/Ice Street Maintenance Policy

A City response to snowfall and ice accumulation on City streets is necessary for safe, routine travel and efficient emergency operations. The updated City of Osseo Snow Emergency Policy was enacted in 2017. For the official policy click here. Please pay close attention to snow fall amounts and contact the City to find out if a snow emergency has been declared. 

Individual property owners are responsible for promptly removing snow and ice from sidewalks abutting their property.

If you have questions, call Osseo Public Services at 763-425-5741.


Snowmobiles and ATVs

Snowmobiles and ATVs are not allowed within the City except under very limited circumstances.

If you have questions, call the Osseo Police Department at 763.424.5444.

Truth in Housing

As of January 2016, a Truth in Housing or Point of Sale inspection is no longer required prior to the sale of a home in Osseo.


Waste Disposal

For information on recycling, problem materials, household hazardous & non-hazardous wastes, commercial hazardous wastes, call Hennepin County at 612.348.3777 or visit the Hennepin County website.

The Brooklyn Park Drop Off facility is located just south of Osseo at 8100 Jefferson Highway, Brooklyn Park, MN.


Grass and weeds growing on any land must be cut before they reach a height of eight inches. If property owners fail to cut grass and weeds, private businesses hired by the City will do the cutting and the cost will be billed to the owner or added the owner's tax bill as a special assessment.

If you have questions, call the Osseo Police Department at 763.424.5444.


Yard Waste Disposal

Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, weeds, garden wastes, pine cones, acorns, twigs, and prunings less than four inches in diameter. Yard waste does NOT include trees, brush, or branches having a diameter of more than four inches, rocks, concrete, or other similar materials, fruit, ashes, dead animals, sod, lumber, or pond weed. Brush and branch trimmings less than four inches in diameter should be bundled (no more than 4 feet long and 20 inches in overall diameter).

Yard waste can be disposed of in the following ways:

It can be picked up by Randy's Sanitation on the regular garbage day if properly bagged or bundled. Yard waste pick up begins in April and ends in November, weather permitting. If you have questions, call Randy's Sanitation at 763.972.3335.

Larger yard waste can be brought to the Maple Grove Yard Waste Drop Off Site located on 101st Avenue North, just west of Fernbrook Lane in Maple Grove. Please note: there will be a charge for Osseo residents.

Trees and large brush can be disposed of by calling Elk River landfill at 763.441.2464.