About Osseo

Building Permit

Building Permit

Apply and Pay for Building Permits Online

Osseo now offers homeowners and contractors the ability to apply and pay for permits online.

**Supporting documentation must be uploaded during the permit application**

Visit our online permit portal and follow the instructions listed here, and on the website, to submit an application.

  1. Login to your profile. (First time users will be required to register with the city, this account profile will be where you can track your application, make payment, and keep a record of your permit)
  2. Select the type of permit (Residential Mechanical, Residential Reroof, etc.)
  3. Enter the property address.
  4. Enter the Applicant and/or Contractor.
  5. Include a detailed description of the work to be done. 
  6. Check the permit type box, and then enter the valuation.  We cannot process your permit application without a valuation of the work.
  7. Submit.
Applications requiring plan review cannot be submitted through this portal. This includes:
  • New builds
  • Remodels
  • Additions
  • Any and all work at commercial addresses
These applications must be submitted, with supporting plans, to permits@ci.osseo.mn.us. Include the 'General Building Permit' form linked below.

General Building Permit
Supplemental Window Permit
Electrical Permit

After your permit has been reviewed and fees determined, you will receive an email with a link to complete payment. When payment has been received you will be sent a copy of your approved permit.

Building Fee Schedule & Permit

You can download the City of Osseo residential Building Fee Schedule.

Wondering if your project is located within the City of Osseo boundaries? Please review the map at the bottom of the About Osseo pagedouble-check the address through Hennepin County's Property Information Searchor contact City Hall at 763-425-2624 to verify before submitting an application.

Fee amounts for commercial projects are developed by our Building Inspector, Metro West Inspections, Inc. and are based on the valuation of the projectALL commercial permits are subject to review by the Building Inspector. MANY commercial building permits will also require a Sewer Availability Charge (SAC) Determination from the Metropolitan Council (see the linked memo for more information).

The City of Osseo contracts with Metro West Inspection Services for all building, mechanical, and plumbing plan review and pre-and-post inspections. If you have code related questions, please contact Metro West by email or by phone at 763.479.1720.

You may download a copy of the Osseo Building Permit and a copy of the Building Permit Requirements from the City's website. Please note: This permit application is used for all Osseo building permits (both residential and commercial) and zoning permits (for fences, small accessory structures, etc.) Separate forms are used for electrical permits and signs, and can be found further down on this page. Prior to processing, many commercial building permits for construction or remodeling will also require a Sewer Availiabiilty Charge (SAC) Determination from the Metropolitan Council (see the linked memo for more information).

We accept credit card payments. Please download the Osseo Credit Card Payment Form to send with your permit application. If you prefer to pay over the phone, note that on the application (with your contact information) on the permit application.

  • Building Permits can be applied and paid for online through the city's online Building Permit Portal. All contractors and applicants will be requried to register an account on the website, and will then be able to apply, track, and pay for their permit



We are happy to process permits via the mail provided a self-addressed, postage paid envelope is included. Please City Hall at 763.425.2624 if you have any further questions.

Osseo Building Permits

When is a Building Permit Required?
A building permit is required when:

  • Building or remodeling a house
  • Re-roofing
  • Re-siding (also requires an electrical permit)
  • Putting up a shed (accessory structure) (Review Garage & Accessory Structure requirements first)
  • Installing a fireplace, gas insert, wood stove, or chimney
  • Finishing your basement
  • Adding a garage or addition
  • Replacing windows (Please also submit the Window Supplement Sheet)
  • Changing or installing heating or air conditioning (also requires and electrical permit)
  • Installing plumbing
  • Constructing a retaining wall over four feet in height
  • Constructing a swimming pool
  • Installing an irrigation system
  • Putting up a deck or porch
  • Putting up a fence (Review Residential Fence requirements, or contact City Hall for commercial fence requirements)
  • Doing electrical work (electrical permits are through the City)
  • All commercial work, including a change of use for a commercial structure
  • Replacing water softener or water heater

When is a Building Permit Not Required?
A building permit is not required for:
  • Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high
  • Painting, wallpapering, or paneling
  • Temporary stage sets and scenery
  • Soffit, fascia and trim
  • Installing carpeting and other flooring
  • Prefabricated above ground swimming pools of a capacity of 5,000 gallons or less
  • Redecorating without structural change
  • Replacing cabinets in kitchen or elsewhere 

Doing the Work Yourself

Detailed plans of what you are proposing to construct are required. If your proposed work does not meet code, if it easier to change it on paper than once you have built it. Never dig on your property without first having Gopher State One Call locate the underground utilities (call 651.454.0002). This is a free service that may save your life. 

Residential Improvements
If you are planning improvements to your property and do not want to do the work yourself, here are some suggestions to help you select a contractor:
  1. Make sure the contractor has a state license for residential construction
  2. Check references; make sure they are valid
  3. Check with the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry to see if any complaints have been registered
  4. Check to make sure qualifications and expertise match your needs
  5. Find out how long the contractor has been in business in this area 

Getting a Building Permit

Most home improvements require building permits. The purpose of the permit is to ensure that the building project meets certain minimum safety and aesthetic requirements. The fees charged for building permits are used to cover the cost of checking work for compliance with the state and city building codes.

Do not take out the building permit for the contractor. By signing the permit, the contractor is guaranteeing to do the work according to code. If you sign the permit, you are liable for all work corrections if it should fall short of standards. Do make sure that your contractor has a permit, and calls for inspections. An inspection card is issued and should be displayed near the work area. When an inspection is complete, the inspector will sign the card. When the final inspection passes, the inspector's signatures are your assurance that the work has been done properly. You should pay for the work only after it has passed final inspection. 

Electrical Permits

Electrical permits are issued by the City of Osseo and do NOT go through the State. As of 11/17/2020, the new 2020 NEC electrical code will be enforced. As of December 1, 2021, Sloth Inspections, Inc. will start doing Electrical Inspections.



Please fill out the Contractors Electrical Permit Application

Homeowners: NEC 2020 Electrical Inspection Checklist for Homeowners
Please fill out Homeowner Electrical Permit and submit with "Owner" Electrical Permit Disclaimer.

Schedule electrical inspections at slothinspections.com or call Andy Sloth, Monday - Friday 7 - 8:30 a.m. at (763) 421-2360.

Contractor Licensing

Osseo does not require Contractor Licensing prior to the permit process.