About Osseo

Permits & Inspections

Permits & Inspections

Building Fee Schedule & Permit

You can download the City of Osseo residential 2024 Building Fee Schedule

Wondering if your project is located within the City of Osseo boundaries? Please review the map at the bottom of the About Osseo pagedouble-check the address through Hennepin County's Property Information Searchor contact City Hall at 763-425-2624 to verify before submitting an application.

Fee amounts for commercial projects are developed by our Building Inspector, Metro West Inspections, Inc. and are based on the valuation of the projectALL commercial permits are subject to review by the Building Inspector. MANY commercial building permits will also require a Sewer Availability Charge (SAC) Determination from the Metropolitan Council (see the linked memo for more information).

The City of Osseo contracts with Metro West Inspection Services for all building, mechanical, and plumbing plan review and pre-and-post inspections. If you have code related questions, please contact Metro West by email or by phone at 763.479.1720.

You may download a copy of the Osseo Building Permit and a copy of the Building Permit Requirements from the City's website. Please note: This permit application is used for all Osseo building permits (both residential and commercial) and zoning permits (for fences, small accessory structures, etc.) Separate forms are used for electrical permits and signs, and can be found further down on this page. Prior to processing, many commercial building permits for construction or remodeling will also require a Sewer Availiabiilty Charge (SAC) Determination from the Metropolitan Council (see the linked memo for more information).

We accept credit card payments. Please download the Osseo Credit Card Payment Form to send with your permit application. If you prefer to pay over the phone, note that on the application (with your contact information) on the permit application.

  • Wondering how much a residential permit will cost? You can download the City of Osseo residential Building Fee Schedule. Commercial permit fees are determined by the building inspector.



We are happy to process permits via the mail provided a self-addressed, postage paid envelope is included. Please City Hall at 763.425.2624 if you have any further questions.

Osseo Building Permits

When is a Building Permit Required?
A building permit is required when:

  • Building or remodeling a house
  • Re-roofing
  • Re-siding (also requires an electrical permit)
  • Putting up a shed (accessory structure) (Review Garage & Accessory Structure requirements first)
  • Installing a fireplace, gas insert, wood stove, or chimney
  • Finishing your basement
  • Adding a garage or addition
  • Replacing windows (Please also submit the Window Supplement Sheet)
  • Changing or installing heating or air conditioning (also requires and electrical permit)
  • Installing plumbing
  • Constructing a retaining wall over four feet in height
  • Constructing a swimming pool
  • Installing an irrigation system
  • Putting up a deck or porch
  • Putting up a fence (Review Residential Fence requirements, or contact City Hall for commercial fence requirements)
  • Doing electrical work (electrical permits are through the City)
  • All commercial work, including a change of use for a commercial structure
  • Replacing water softener or water heater

When is a Building Permit Not Required?
A building permit is not required for:
  • Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches high
  • Painting, wallpapering, or paneling
  • Temporary stage sets and scenery
  • Soffit, fascia and trim
  • Installing carpeting and other flooring
  • Prefabricated above ground swimming pools of a capacity of 5,000 gallons or less
  • Redecorating without structural change
  • Replacing cabinets in kitchen or elsewhere 

Doing the Work Yourself

Detailed plans of what you are proposing to construct are required. If your proposed work does not meet code, if it easier to change it on paper than once you have built it. Never dig on your property without first having Gopher State One Call locate the underground utilities (call 651.454.0002). This is a free service that may save your life. 

Residential Improvements
If you are planning improvements to your property and do not want to do the work yourself, here are some suggestions to help you select a contractor:
  1. Make sure the contractor has a state license for residential construction
  2. Check references; make sure they are valid
  3. Check with the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry to see if any complaints have been registered
  4. Check to make sure qualifications and expertise match your needs
  5. Find out how long the contractor has been in business in this area 

Getting a Building Permit

Most home improvements require building permits. The purpose of the permit is to ensure that the building project meets certain minimum safety and aesthetic requirements. The fees charged for building permits are used to cover the cost of checking work for compliance with the state and city building codes.

Do not take out the building permit for the contractor. By signing the permit, the contractor is guaranteeing to do the work according to code. If you sign the permit, you are liable for all work corrections if it should fall short of standards. Do make sure that your contractor has a permit, and calls for inspections. An inspection card is issued and should be displayed near the work area. When an inspection is complete, the inspector will sign the card. When the final inspection passes, the inspector's signatures are your assurance that the work has been done properly. You should pay for the work only after it has passed final inspection. 

Electrical Permits

Electrical permits are issued by the City of Osseo and do NOT go through the State. As of 11/17/2020, the new 2020 NEC electrical code will be enforced.



Please fill out the Contractors Electrical Permit Application

Homeowners: NEC 2020 Electrical Inspection Checklist for Homeowners
Please fill out Homeowner Electrical Permit and submit with "Owner" Electrical Permit Disclaimer.

Schedule electrical inspections at slothinspections.com or call Andy Sloth, Monday - Friday 7 - 8:30 a.m. at (763) 421-2360.

Right of Way Permit

Right of Way Permits are required for those doing work in or obstructing public Right of Way, including excavations and overhead work along public streets, sidewalks, and boulevards. 

Boulevard Feature Permit is available for those wishing to make private improvements in the boulevard, including placing landscaping, fences, sandwich board signs, and similar items.

Return Right of Way Permit applications to Osseo City Hall, 415 Central Avenue or fax to 763-425-1111.

Contractor Licensing

Osseo does not require Contractor Licensing prior to the permit process.

Sign Permits

The Osseo Sign Permit Application is available here. Use the same permit for all permanent and temporary signage on private property, including Sandwich Board Signs. (See information on temporary event signs, including garage sale signs, below.) 

New sign regulations are in effect as of January 1, 2019. A summary of the regulations for each district is available as Appendix C to the Zoning Code. As part of the update to the regulations, illustrated examples of each sign type were prepared for the Planning Commission to review.

Fees are based on sign classification and the size of each sign. Please download the sign permit, fill it out completely, and send to the City of Osseo along with required supporting documentation (picture, drawing or rendering of the sign; dimensions of the new sign and any existing signs; site plan showing lot size and sign location(s); and proof of contract purchase price). The total fee will be determined after Staff review.

Signage for Short-Term Events & Promotions - Ex: Garage Sale Signs, Political Signs, Contractor Signs, & Real Estate Signs

The following types of signs are allowed on private property without a permit:

  1. Signs that are three square feet in size (or smaller) without any letters or numbers larger than six inches in height; or
  2. Signs that are six square feet in size (or smaller) without any letters or numbers larger than three inches in height.
Signs on the boulevard or in the city's Right of Way (including Sandwich Board Signs) require a Boulevard Feature Permit.  (Although property lines vary, see below for typical Right of Way guidelines.)  


Any application for a Boulevard Feature Permit may be denied if the private improvement would or could cause any inconvenience to the public. Factors considered during permit review include, but are not limited to:

  1. Effect of the private improvement on snow plowing and snow storage;
  2. Effect of the private improvement on public safety, including traffic visibility and pedestrian safety;
  3. Effect of the private improvement on public land and public or private utilities; and
  4. The public necessity and utility of the private improvement and the availability of alternate locations for the private improvement.
Signs unlawfully posted in the boulevard or city's Right of Way are considered abandonded and are subject to immediate removal by the city. Signs that have been removed by the city will be held for 45 days. If the sign is not retrieved within 45 days, the city may destroy the sign.

Gateway Sign Electronic Readerboard

Gateway Sign Application
The City of Osseo Gateway Sign serves to share information with residents of the City as well as the general public. 

The Gateway Sign was constructed with funds from both the Hennepin County Business District Initiative and the Osseo EDA. These funds were provided in anticipation of the sign's positive impact on economic development activity within Osseo. Given the purpose of the Gateway Sign, the City has determined that the following types of messages may be displayed on the Gateway Sign:

  1. City messages (e.g., meeting information, city-sponsored events, snow emergencies, etc.);
  2. Business, government agency, and public institution messages if such messages meet the requirements of the Gateway Sign Policy, subject to space availability, application, and approval.

Any organization or event with its principal place of business in Osseo may apply for a message to be displayed on the Gateway Sign. Examples include Osseo businesses, schools, community groups, etc.

The following is a list of messages that are allowed to be displayed on the Gateway Sign. This list is not exhaustive.

  1. Messages identifying the name and location of businesses, commercial properties, and public institutions within the City;
  2. Events taking place within the City and open to the public, such as concerts, car shows, etc; and 
  3. Limited-time sales and promotions occurring within the City and open to the public.
  4. Announcements from governmental agencies or elected or appointed officials serving the residents of Osseo.

Anyone wishing to submit a message to be displayed on the Gateway Sign must fill out an application on a form approved by the City. The deadline to submit an application for display the following Monday is 7:30 a.m the Thursday before. Approved signs will be displayed for approximately seven days per application. The fee is $100 per slide, per week. The City Council may set special fees or waive fees for special conditions or circumstances, including where the applicant or event has performed or will perform a commensurate service to the City. To request reduced or waived fees, contact City staff or submit the Fee Waiver Request  form. Submitting the form does not gurantee a waiver; any request to reduce or waive fees must be approved by the City Council.

Gateway Sign Application Form
Gateway Sign Fee Waiver Request
Gateway Sign Policy

Special Event Permit

A Special Event Permit is required if one or more of the following apply to your event:

  • 200 or more individuals will be in attendance 
  • Temporary Alcohol License required
  • Admission or fees will be charged or donations requested while using City property
  • Special services will be required (road closure, traffic control, security, exclusive use of City property, etc.)

Download a copy of the Special Event Permit.

INSTRUCTIONS: Fill out this form completely, sign it, and include all required attachments. If additional space is needed, attach additional sheets. Submit to the City of Osseo 30 days prior to the date of the event with permit fee.

Per City ordinance, the City Council may modify or waive any of the Special Event Permit requirements after a finding that the waiver or modification of the requirements, including the required fee, will not endanger the public health, safety, and welfare of the community and that enforcement of the requirements would impose a unique hardship upon the applicant.

Liquor & Tobacco Licenses

For questions and forms for liquor and tobacco licenses, please contact City Clerk Katrina Jones by email kjones@ci.osseo.mn.us or by phone at 763.425.4064.

Dog Identification

All dogs are required to have some identification attached to them. Identification allowed includes microchips, veterinarian-issued rabies tags, or tags or collars with a current address and phone number of the owner inscribed on the tag or collar.

As of January 2016, dog licenses are no longer required by the Osseo Police Department. Up-to-date rabies vaccinations are required.

Please contact Osseo Police Department Administrative Assistant Felicia Wallgren if you have any questions, by email or by phone at 763.424.5444.


Truth in Housing Inspections No Longer Required Prior to Sale of Home

PLEASE NOTE: As of December 14, 2015, homes in Osseo are no longer required to have a Truth in Housing Inspection prior to any sale. Contact City Hall for additional information at 763.425.2624.

Rental Licensing and Inspections Program

All rental properties in the City of Osseo must be licensed and renewed every year. Please see Rental Licensing and Inspections Program for information and fees. To apply to convert a single family, duplex or townhome into a rental property, submit an application with payment before offering the property for rent, to allow time for the inspection process to be completed.

Rental inspections are done in accordance with the 2006 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC). The IPMC is consistent, comprehensive, and uses compatible property maintenance documents meant to be used with the other codes as adopted by the State of Minnesota. Prepared forms, checklists, and Certificates of Compliance are used to provide consistency and uniformity in licensing and inspection of rental properties. The Certificate of Compliance will be used to obtain a license -- which will ensure that all rental properties meet the provisions of the IPMC prior to licensure.

Licensing and Inspection Process:
Single family, duplex, triplex, townhome, and condo units with Certificates of Compliance receive rental license renewal applications in August. Completed renewal applications and fees are due by September 30 of each year. Licenses are issued once approved. Inspections for the next cycle will be completed early in the following year. 

Small and large apartments with Certificates of Compliance receive rental license renewal applications in May. Completed renewal applications and fees are due by June 30 of each year. Licenses are issued once approved. Inspections for the next cycle will be completed later in that same year.

All single family, duplex, townhome, and condo rental property is inspected annually and a third of all apartment units will be inspected annually (100% of a building every three years). Common areas and boiler rooms in apartment buildings are inspected every year. Please note that the owner or owner’s representative must be present for all inspections and proper notice of the inspection must be given to the tenant by the owner.

See Section 151 of the Osseo City Code for more details. The purpose of this section is to clarify the expectations of property owners in order to provide safe, structurally sound, and well-maintained rental facilities in the City of Osseo. 

Rental Inspections are completed by:

Rum River Rental Inspections

For information on Landlord and Tenant laws, please visit the Minnesota Attorney General website www.ag.state.mn.us.

For more information, please contact Administrative Assistant MaryLou Baier by email or by phone at 763.425.2624, ext. 101.