About Osseo



The Minnesota COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program provides housing assistance payments to help prevent eviction, prevent homelessness, and maintain housing stability for eligible renters and homeowners. This can include grants to cover past due utility accounts.

The program application is now available. For more information on the program or to apply, please visit the program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) site: http://www.mnhousing.gov/sites/np/covid19housingassistanceprogramFAQ

Rental Licensing and Inspections Program

All rental properties in the City of Osseo must be licensed and renewed every year. Please see Rental Licensing and Inspections Program for information and fees. To apply to convert a single family, duplex or townhome into a rental property, submit a Rental Housing License Application with payment before offering the property for rent, to allow time for the inspection process to be completed.

Rental inspections are done in accordance with the International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC). The IPMC is consistent, comprehensive, and uses compatible property maintenance documents meant to be used with the other codes as adopted by the State of Minnesota. Prepared forms, checklists, and Certificates of Compliance are used to provide consistency and uniformity in licensing and inspection of rental properties. 

Licensing and Inspection Process:

Rental licenses are renewed annually and the cycle runs from April 1 to March 31 of the following year. Rum River consultants will either mail or email renewal applications by February 1 of each year with a 30 day window to renew your license.

Inspections are performed on a biennial cycle with common areas in apartment buildings being inspected annually.

See Section 151 of the Osseo City Code for more details. The purpose of this section is to clarify the expectations of property owners to provide safe, structurally sound, and well-maintained rental facilities in the City of Osseo. 

Rental Inspections are completed by:

Rum River Consultants
23306 Cree St NW, Suite 103
St. Francis, MN 55070

For information on Landlord and Tenant laws, please visit the Minnesota Attorney General website www.ag.state.mn.us.

For more information, please contact Jessica Rieland, Community Management Coordinator, by email or by phone at 763.425.1454.

Homestead Filing with Hennepin County


Homestead applications due December 15

Apply online for properties in Hennepin County

Property owners in Hennepin County have until December 15 to complete a homestead application for 2019. Eligible applicants must have moved into their home on or before December 1, 2018. 

Hennepin County offers an online filing application, and all of the details about homestead applications are at hennepin.us/homestead.

Submitting a homestead application may qualify the property for a reduced classification rate, reduced taxable market value, property tax refund, and special program eligibility.

File a homestead application.

Some relatives may also qualify to file for homestead. 

Once homestead is granted, it is not necessary to reapply in subsequent years. In some circumstances, the Assessor's office may request verification.  

If a property owner sells, moves, or for any reason does not qualify for the homestead classification, they should notify the county assessor within 30 days of the change in homestead status.

Property owners can contact the Hennepin County Assessor to answer any questions at 612-348-3046 or assessor.ao@hennepin.us.



Look for more news on the Hennepin County website at hennepin.us/news.

Discover how we're making a difference in our communities at hennepin.us/stories.




Truth in Housing

As of January 2016, a Truth in Housing inspection is no longer required prior to the sale of homes in Osseo.